Following our trip to Uganda in July this year the Sports Development Officer Stephen Anguma helped set up an independent Mbale Netball Committee to help foster the NDT project. To ensure that all stakeholders in netball are represented the elected Committee consists of teachers from the local schools we worked with this year, a netball referee, the coach, manager and players from Tigers Netball Club and Stephen. The members of the Committee held a meeting on the 8th of August, 2011 and made a number of resolutions that will see netball in Mbale grow more significantly at the grassroots level.
At the meeting, the Teachers from the schools were present although two were involved with the children’s netball team that had qualified for the Nationals. Also present were the Tiger players, the coach (Isma) and the manager (Jude).
Among some of the resolutions, members aired out the following as a way forward to aid in achieving the objectives of the project :-
- Training of Tiger netball players as coaches for schools
- Coaching of schools by the coaches and teachers
- Schools to have tournaments every 2nd or 3rd week of term
- Tigers players be officially registered
- Tigers netball club should play pre-league friendly games
- Tigers netball club be registered to play in league and
- All teachers and school coaches work with volunteers during the 2012 Netball Trust tour.